Sunday 26 December 2010

Recipe for Chocolate Orange Cupcakes

Well, the food marathon that is boxing day is almost at an end, so here as promised is the recipe for the Chocolate Orange cupcakes that I showed you on Christmas eve. It makes 12 muffin size cakes.

Ingredients:
2oz SR flour
2oz Cocoa
1 tsp baking powder
4oz castor sugar
4oz marg
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons orange juice
grated zest of 1/2 orange
For frosting:
 8 oz icing sugar
3 1/2 oz butter at room temperature
zest of 1/2 orange
1-2 tablespoons orange juice
Chocolate orange

Pre heat the oven to 160C/325F/ gas mark3.
Mix all cake ingredients together using an electric hand mixer until light and fluffy. Divide equally between 12 muffin cases. Bake for 20 - 25 mins or until firm on top. Set aside and leave to cool.
Beat softened butter and add icing sugar a little at a time until all combined. Add the zest and juice and beat well. Swirl onto cold cupcakes and finish with a slice of chocolate orange.

Now, chocolate oranges have 20 segments, so do you make double the quantity and leave 4 without chocolate on top, or do you make 12 and eat the 8 spare segments? I made 24 and had 16 spare segments. There's now 3 left!
We have had a lovely day with my Dad and brother coming over for lunch (Traditional Christmas Dinner) and then us all going to Steve's parent's flat and taking tea with us. As my dad and my brother no longer drive we fetch them and take them home too. I'm ready to put my feet up now! Hope you have all had a wonderful Christmas, and let me know if you make some of Terry's my cupcakes!

9 comments:

Lynne K said...

Yum! Thanks, Sally! Great excuse to buy chocolate oranges, and I think I too would go for making 12 and having 8 segments left over! xx

Tracy said...

I have printed out your recipe, I think i'll make double and maybe grate some of the segments on top to make sure all the cupcakes have something on top.
Thank you Sally, I will let you know how I go although I'll have to go shopping for the ingredients.
Happy crafting
Tracy x

Maarit at Violets Corner said...

Mmmm, I'll try that recipe, thanks for sharing. Love the cake you made with cut out ivy leaves.

Hugs
Maarit

pinky said...

I d aren't even attempt these, way too yummy for my tummy but might just pass this on to my daughter lol.

Jules said...

Hi Sal

Many thanks for that .. .. might have to give them a try .. .. once I have finished the Sherry Trifle, the Christmas Cake, the Mince Pies, the Roast Gammon, the various cheeses, shortbread and various forms of bread, nuts and nibbles that made their way to our kitchen LOL!!! Oh .. mustn't for get to mention the satsumas as they do at least sound a little bit healthy!!

I hope that you had a really good Christmas. Enjoy the rest of your Christmas break.

Love Jules xx

chris said...

Hi Sally they look scrummy, thanks for the recipe, I so love choc orange its my favourite ever chocolate.
you sound like you had a good one. hugs chris xx

lisa said...

Mmmm these look scrummy, Sally. I'm definitely going to have a go a baking them. Thanks so much for the recipe. I love the look of your Christmas cake too. The ivy leaves make it so beautiful.
I'm glad you had a lovely time over Christmas. The time flies doesn't it. We've been busy with family until today so it's beeen nice to just chill and get over it all. Must get back to some crafting now.
Lots of New Year wishes to you and your family.
Hugs Lisax

I heart cupcakes said...

These look and sound delicious! Thanks for commenting on my blog so I could find these!

craftimamma said...

Wow Sally, these look and sound delicious and I might even break my vow of never baking again for one of these!

Hugs
Lesley Xx