Friday 22 July 2011

A few hours in the garden

I just wanted to share a few pictures of the garden that I took today between little showers. It was so lovely to be out there with all the scents and colours.

The insects were very busy and I was pleased with the wide variety of bees and hoverflies that I saw.


The veg plot is a little overgrown, but the beans and peas are full of flower and we have a good harvest of turnips. The rhubarb always gives us a good crop, and the apple tree is laden this year. Lets just hope the Bramleys don't go through the roof of the greenhouse!
I have recently registered our Garden on the 'Big Wildlife Garden' website. Our vegetable production has been a bit hit and miss over the past few summers, and we were getting a bit depressed with it, but by registering our garden and looking at what we are doing for wildlife has made us look at it all from a different perspective. Insect life and bird life in our garden is thriving, and I am sure some of this is down to the herbs and native plants we have. All I'd like now is a resident hedgehog!

10 comments:

Lisa Jane said...

fab pics Sally ..it was like winter here today!
we are very lucky we do have a hedgehog.. and we have had babies in the past
Lisa x

Vicky Hayes said...

Your garden is looking gorgeous Sally!

Jules said...

Hi Sal

What wonderful pictures of your garden.

You have some beautiful plants on show.

Enjoy your summer break .. .. I am assuming you have broken up now?

Love Jules xx

Lesley Edmonds said...

Ooo Sally your garden is looking just lovely. I know what you mean about the showers - I'm in and out with my washing today.

Carola Bartz said...

Your garden is beautiful, Sally! I love all the little insects on your daisies. Your sweet pea is gorgeous! My garden also "feeds" wildlife and offers shelter, and I like that a lot. Hit and miss with the veggies? Same here!

lisa said...

Thank you for sharing your lovely garden, Sally. Are they everlasting sweetpeas. I had some but they took over everything and although I loved them I had to pull them out.
You have so many bird hangers, no wonder the wildlife loves your garden. It's amazing what you see when you sit quietly isn't it. What would we do without out gardens?
Hope you are having a lovely weekend.
Hugs Lisax

Anonymous said...

How beautiful Sally! Plenty of time to enjoy your garden now we've broken up (weather permitting!) xx

craftimamma said...

Thankyou for sharing your stunning photos Sally. What a beautiful place your garden is.

Hugs
Lesley Xx

Milena said...

What a truly beautiful garden you have Sal. I really like the idea of registering a wildlife garden and I too would love a resident hedgehog :)

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Lovely garden Sally, isn't it a joy to be in the garden?