Saturday 23 January 2021

Playing in my Art Journal

 Hi there! Thought I would share with you my first finsihed journal spread in this lovely 14cm square journal that I had for Christmas. My journal has a couple of other pages with backgrounds but nothing else finished yet.

You can probably make out that the colour in the background was brayered (Chalk finish acrylic) - just me cleaning my brayer before using it in another colour. I was rather pleased with the result. I also put a stencil (paint side down) onto the right hand page , and you can just about see the gold just behind the boat. Having seen a fabulous demo from the lovely Isa, I decided to use the 'of the sea' stamp CI-559 designed by Sharron Bates to make a seaside scene.
Before stamping the boats, I used quite a few background stamps to add to the background. CI-017 - french script was stamped in broken china distress oxide, as was the number from CI-397. The circles from CI-540 were stamped in cracked pistachio distress oxide. After that I added the grey crackle CI-116 and the mismesh pattern CI-542 around the edges. 
I stamped the boat (with frame removed) onto my page and then again 3 more times onto some mixed media paper. I painted them with my dewent inktense blocks and cut them out. This one had an extra layer for the lower part of the boat and the one above was made from parts of one cut apart. I also stamped, coloured and cut out a seagull from white card. I stuck these in place and applied a layer of Tim Holtz Distress Collage Meduim of the crazing variety (LOVE this stuff!) and added some Prima Finnabair small art stones below the boats. I added more colour to ground them using the inktense blocks and finally added the verse from CI-397. 

I definitely need to do more of this sort of thing! I really enjoyed it and it came together so well. Almost as refreshing as a stroll on the beach! Before I go, here is a date for your diary - Jean is on Hochanda next on 12th February at 10am and 2pm. I can tell you now that the new stamps are absolutely gorgeous!!! Got a feeling they will sell very well indeed!

Thanks for looking and I hope you are keeping well and finding solace in your crafting! 

                        Sally x

5 comments:

meg said...

Wow brilliant project the background is perfect with the stamping love the nautical theme and colours

Helen said...

I spend more time playing in journals than anything else. love your seaside scene! have a great weekend

Viv said...

You know how I feel about this boat so you know that I love these pages! x

Pat said...

Fabulous pages Sally. I guess we can definitely say that this is a big hit with a lot of people. It's definitely on my wish list. It works so well here in your atmospheric scenes and take on many guises. x

decoupat said...

Really lovely Sally,I love how you do your backgrounds xx