Friday 16 April 2021

Our Robin and a few other visitors

 I've seen quite a few robins around blog land on cards at the moment, so I thought I would tell you about ours. we call him Spot because he has a white fluffy spot on his back about where his tail starts. He comes and sits on top of the hook that holds our window feeder and sings to us (or his own reflection). He is never aggressive towards his reflection, as I have heard stories of birds trying to fight their reflections thinking it is a rival. He will often sing whilst the female watches then nip to one of the other feeders, peck out a fat pellet and feed it to her. 

Anyway, I've been trying for a couple of weeks to get a bit of decent footage on my camera and finally managed it!  (You will need to crank up the volume to hear him)


We have been watching the birds a little more closely during lockdown and had some fabulous winter visitors. There was a little flock of longtailed tits,


and a small group of bramblings. 


These seem to have moved on this month but we have our first lesser redpolls now!  

I'm afraid my photos aren't great because they are of the feeders at the bottom of the garden through the windows. 
Thanks for looking! 


5 comments:

Sandma's Handmade Cards said...

What a beautiful collection of birds. We’ve seen lots of them on our walks this week and they always fill me with joy, even though I don’t know what many of them are. On one particular walk, we must see at least half a dozen different robins each time we visit and I used to think that they only came out at Christmas! My greatest joy of all are the woodland walks, where I often just stand still, close my eyes and listen to the birds. To be honest, people must think I’m a bit bonkers but I don’t care, it’s my happy place. Thank you for sharing Sally xx

Viv said...

Fab pics Sal! x

cuilliesocks said...

What a wonderful post Sally, gorgeous little birds and your video of your wee Robin is brilliant, singing his wee heart out. I love to hear the bird song, and I hear it every morning as I'm a poor sleeper and really hear the birds when they wake up it's just so lovely. The Robin has such a lovely sound. If covid has had any up side it's that last year when we were truly locked down it was being able to hear the birds singing, thanks for sharing this Sally, Kate x

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

What a wonderful selection of birds Sally, we don't have Redpolls or Bramblings as visitors. We have others but very rarely. Your video is just incredible. Our garden is always full of birds singing, but mostly hidden, I think they could be the Sparrows and Blackbirds, I don't care it's an absolute pleasure to just enjoy them. You have got wonderful photos of them.
Faith x

Pat said...

Thank you for the recording of the robin's wonderful song. We have seen lots of activity on our walks around our village as we are lucky to have a green space all around the edge with a little stream too. Yesterday we caught the sound of a woodpecker drumming which I have to admit I haven't heard very often before. x