Monday 20 April 2020

Crochet Lockdown style

Before I show you what I've made you need to understand a bit of background. My Mum was an amazing knitter. She made the most exquisite baby jackets, bootees and hats, jumpers, cardigans and gloves. I remember she came with me to a university interview and virtually knitted a whole cardigan in the station at Lancaster when our train home was late! Although I'm left-handed, I learned to knit right-handed and was incredibly slow and laboured, giving it up as a bad job at the age of about 18. I'd never picked it up again or ever tried crochet. At the beginning of March, one of my crafty friends and another Leftie showed me some basics of crochet. I learned just one stitch, then 2 weeks later she showed me another two stitches. I was worried that I would forget what to do, so kept practising about an hour each day. Let's face it, If I could forget what I went into the kitchen for, forgetting what to do is not outnof the question!  I am loving it and can say I'm definitely hooked, lol.  Some yarn fell into my trolley in Aldi and my first neckwarmer was created...
Then I managed to get more yarn from our local Boyes store and number 2 was made...
And then number 3, 4 and 5...


By now I could crochet with the TV on and it wasn't taking me years to make something, lol. Three of them have new homes to go to as well. I was however running out of yarn. I had walked past a local wool shop on the way to the post office at the end of March, so found their facebook page and discovered they do deliveries and paypal. I asked for Autumn colours and decided to try learning another stitch and make granny squares. I can totally recommend Bella Coco's you tube channel, as she does left and right handed demonstrations. Also, through a friend on facebook I found Attic 24 that has some brilliant step by step photos and patterns. Both of these are British sites with UK terminology which is different to American terminology.  I am hoping to have a nice granny square blanket for cold evenings in the Autumn. I'm 50 squares in and can do trebles now, lol. I'm already planning what my project will be after that. I fancy the Attic 24 moorland blanket - such beautiful colours.
I think my Mum would be doing a happy dance now and I'm adding Yarn to my list of crafty addictions.  It just goes to prove you are never too old to learn a new skill.
Thanks for looking!

4 comments:

Pat said...

I have always knitted and crocheted but when in my twenties and thirties knitting was the thing, and of recent years I have done more crocheting than knitting and enjoy it more because I was finding that a lot of stitches on long needles weighs heavy and does make your hands and fingers ache, whereas crochet with a small hook is easier on the hands. I love the look of your neck warmers Sally and the granny squares are such pretty colours, and look forward to seeing the blanket when it is finished. I think you have done so well to master it in such a short space of time, and you are definitely a fully fledged crocheter now. x

cuilliesocks said...

Oh Sally what beautiful projects and well done in learning to crotchet, something I never could. The colours of your neckwarmers are gorgeous, make great Christmas gifts, Kate x

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

WOW! Beautiful neck warmers and wonderful work too, such a lovely pattern and neat crochet. I haven't really done any crochet since I got married and MiL was an avid maker of granny squares, I still have some of her work over 50 years later. I love the work though, so will go and see the blog post to remind myself how to do it, I even have some wool and crochet hooks here - somewhere LOL. Thanks again Sally.
Keep safe and well
Faith x

scrappymo! said...

You are so talented girl! Your neck warmers are beautiful and I really like the pattern That flounce at the bottom is so pretty.

Your blanket is going to look great! Those fall colours are great.