Monday 7 March 2022

Vintage tulip journal page

 

Hi there! I had the urge to do a bit of a vintage collage the other day, so teamed it up with some old papers, fabric and lace to make a journal page. Here is how I did it. 

I began by tearing some papers and sticking them as a patchwork onto a journal page using matte medium. 
once this was dry I brushed over a coat of gesso and set aside to dry again.

on a piece of tea-stained calico I stamped the tulip using versafine clair grey ink.
I painted the tulip with derwent inktense blocks.
using the tag inkable I added some walnut stain distress ink to the gessoed page. 
next I stamped some mandala circles in vintage photo distress ink on the fabric....
and onto the page. 
I also added some of the ink around the frayed edge of the calico
I drew a rough rectangle slightly larger than the fabric panel in pumice stone distress crayon onto the page where I wanted the tulip to go, smudging it with my finger.
I stamped and heat embossed the sentiment onto a strip of collage paper.
finally I added the tulip panel, a strip of braid and the sentiment to the page using matte medium
And here is the finished page. I rubbed a little gold distress crayon on the tip of my finger over the braid to tone it down a bit. 
I used:
A selection of papers
Calico or smooth cotton
Versafine Clair grey ink
Inktense blocks (you could use watercolour pencils or inktense pencils for this)
Versamark or embossing ink
lace/ braid

This is a great way to use up some scraps of papers and fabric. Thanks for looking! 

6 comments:

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

A fantastic journal page Sally and a wonderful tutorial, thank you for shareing with us.

Sue xx

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

A really beautiful creation Sally.
Faith x

Sandma's Handmade Cards said...

Absolutely gorgeous Sally x

Pat said...

A fabulous journal page Sally and I love the added tulip on the fabric and the gessoed background tones it down and brings it all together..I love the gold distress crayon used on the pretty flowery braid too. x

cuilliesocks said...

Such a creative page, it's beautiful Sally, Kate x

Sarn said...

Fantastic! Love this journal page Sally - and it really helps to see the process. I really MUST get back to my Art Journal. You're certainly inspiring me to have a go, as I feel I lost my way with it a while back! So, thanks for that! xxx