Monday 23 August 2021

Bee Monarchy wall hanging


Hi there! Thought you might like to see a step by step for my embroidered Bee fabric wall hanging. 

I began by stamping the Bee in versafine clair onto a piece of calico. A stamp press is a good idea as the magnets help to keep the fabric still. 

I removed it from the stamp press, put it into a small embroidery hoop and began to embroider it. I used 2 strands of embroidery thread for all of the bee's body and legs, completing the white and yellow stripes first before beginning the black. With the white tail I added a few strands of grey for shading. I just used varying lengths of satin stitch. It doesn't need to be particularly neat as it gives the impression of the bee's fluffy coat.
I then embroidered the legs in the same way.
For the eyes I used a sparkly black thread and stitched french knots. This thread was quite a bit thicker -the eqivalent to about 4 strands of regular 6 strand embroidery thread.
For the wings I found some sheer organza style ribbon (if you can find one that doesn't fray that is great!). I cut a piece that was big enough to cover the wings and dipped it in some watered down blue acrylic paint. 

When it was dry (air dry as some of these ribbons melt very easily), I traced the shape of the wing through it using a pencil, cut it to size, then stitched it in place using a single strand of fine silver thread.
Once the embroidery was finished I took it out of the embroidery hoop, cut a circle of white felt and blanket stitched in yellow around the edge. 

I sprayed a 6x6" square of calico with a light spray of lemon gloss spray. When this was dry I placed the honeycomb inkable over it then sprayed lightly with cheddar gloss spray. I stitched this to a piece of hessian using back stitch before attaching the bee panel to the middle with 5 or 6 small stitches around the edge.
I added a paper flower using a brad bottom left and frayed the edges a little.

I used the plain hanger and painted it with white gesso. I added a piece of the mdf pop-out honeycomb that I had trimmed to fit and painted with gold paint. In each section of the honeycomb I added some glossy accents swirled with a shake of Pretty Gets Gritty Apollo explosion powders.
I used some white fabric tape to attach the hanger to the panel.
And here it is finished. 
Here are links to the products I used
Calico
Embroidery threads
Hessian
organza style ribbon or fabric in white or pale blue
MDF hanger  - will hopefully be available soon
paper flower and brad

I am really enjoying combining my stamping and sewing and will definitely be having a go at more in the not too distant future. 
Thanks for looking and Happy Crafting!

9 comments:

meg said...

Your wall hanging is stunning Sally,the details on the bee exquisite

bolletjelucky.blogspot.com said...

This looks very beautiful, I love it.
Greetings Miranda

Mac Mable said...

Ohhh this is wonderful and so creative Sally. I enjoyed reading the step by steps and what amazing stitching and those fun eyes and 'WOW' to those beautiful wings....I guess I am loving this Sally x.

Sandma's Handmade Cards said...

This is absolutely gorgeous Sally, what a clever crafter you are. Other than making masks, I havent done any sewing for years.....well done you x

cuilliesocks said...

What a wonderful wall hanging Sally, love the bee theme and your stitching and design is amazing, love it, Kate x

Pat said...

Your embroidered bee is fabulous Sally and love the blue organza wings and the super look of the felt and then the hessian and calico and also the beautifully embellished hangar...the gold painted honeycomb filled with the glossy accents and explosion powders looks fantastic. x

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

This is stunning Sally, the Bee is beautiful and looks fabulous embroidered.

Sue xx

Mrs A. said...

I enjoyed looking and reading your post on this beautiful hanging. You have embroidered the bee so life like. I showed it to hubby and he said it s a perfect replica of the bees we have visiting our lavender bush outside the kitchen window. Praise indeed. Hugs
Mrs A.

Sarn said...

What a fabulous project. I’m in awe of your talents xxx