Monday, 2 August 2021

Journaling girl Makeover


Hi There! Last time Bev and Sam were on the Craft Store, Adam was talking about creating fabric dresses for the journaling girls, so I decided to have a go. 

I began by stamping Sam on to a piece of calico with Archival ink.

Next I used a combination of Inktense blocks and Dina Wakely scribble sticks to colour her skin and hair.

I found some lovely variegated embroidery thread in yellow and brown that was perfect for hair and used long stitch. I also added a row of pale pink seed beads at the base of her bun. 
Next I took a square of  fabric (This was a dyed silk handkerchief) and placed it over the top half of the stamped image. I lined it up with the sleeves then stitched across the shoulders and neck with a small running stitch. 

Once this was secured in place I pulled the top edge of the fabric down and added some more small stitches around the edge of the bodice to secure the fabric, tuck in the raw edges and add some shape.

I took a rectangle of fabric approximately16x12cm . I attatched the centre point to the waistline using a small running stitch. 
I then pulled the top of the fabric down and added a row of the seed beads to the waistline. I arranged the skirt and added a few more seed beads to keep it in place. I also added a sequin and a seed bead to the bodice.
I used one of the small stamps from the Sam set to add a background using archival inks.
Next I added some interfacing behind the project to make it more sturdy - It doesn't need to be the iron-on variety, just a piece of fabric, felt, thin wadding or batting. This was secured in place by adding a border of lace around the edges. I used my sewing machine for this but it could have easily been hand stitched. I also added a strip of ribbon down each side, which I secured using sequins and seed beads.
I sprayed an mdf butterfly hanger (This is a sneaky peek!) with Dina Wakely gloss sprays in Fuchsia and White and added a couple of loops of ribbon.
I gave her some earrings to match...
then finally I attached the panel to the hanger with a couple of stitches at each side. 
Here are links to the products used:

I also used scraps of ribbon and lace, Embroidery thread, seed beads, Sequins, a softly draping fabric for the dress (you could pick something up in a charity shop to cut up), Calico and interfacing/wadding/ batting.
The important thing with a little project like this is it doesn't need to be super neat. The edges can be left raw and the stitches don't need to be tiny neat ones. Some people call it slow stitching, and it is as much about the mindfulness of using a needle and thread as the finished product. A bit of ironing of the calico at the beginning and end will help it to look good. it also doesn't need to be expensive. You could make something like this from clothing that is past it's best or charity shop bargains.
I hope you like my project today. Thank you so much for all of the congratulations messages on grading to 1st Dan. I am eagerly awaiting delivery of my belt embroidered with my name in Japanese in gold!
Thanks for looking! 


Sue's Crafty Corner said...

This is stunning Sally. I love the way that you gave her the make over.

Sue xx

meg said...

You created a beautiful scarf dress for Sam,a fabulous project

cuilliesocks said...

What an amazing project Sally, so creative, beautiful work, Kate x

Joan said...

I love her dress Sally, work of art

Joan x

Pat said...

What a fabulous idea to use the calico in the background of this fabulous wall hanging Sally, and the embroidered and beaded hair and the silk handkerchief used for the dress, draped and stitched so beautifully also with added seed beeds to the waist, and the sweet little sequins at the neck. I love the small flower stamped in the background too. Brilliant! x

Sarn said...

Amazing project. You are so artistic and clever.
Hugs, Sarn x