Sunday 14 January 2024

Time for a change

 

It's a very long time since I shared anything that wasn't a craft tutorial or samples but I thought I would take a moment to let you know a bit of news.

The end of 2023 was very hectic with highs and lows. There was the GKR karate nationals in November, Black Belt grading in December. I gained a silver medal for kata and a bronze for kumite at Nationals and then was awarded my second Dan (Nidan) at grading. Never in a thousand years would I have thought I could achieve so much in Karate, and I am eternally grateful to everyone who has helped me along the way. 

It is truly humbling to see how much love and support comes from my Karate family, both instructors and students alike.  I feel very much valued and appreciated. 

When Steve's Dad passed away only a few weeks off his 103rd birthday it wasn't really a surprise, but when Mark (63) passed only days later it was both shocking and thought provoking. If there was one thing to take from it, it was that life is too short, and to be stuck doing things that you no longer love was wasting it. After some soul searching, I decided that after 4 years it was time to step down from the Crafty Individuals DT. In the early days I loved their stamps so much, but as time has gone on I was struggling to find the inspiration to work with the more recent designs. I don't intend joining any other DTs but am very very happy doing what I am doing with Bee Crafty. Bev and Sam have been so very kind and supportive and crafting with their products is my happy place. 

Some more positives that came out of 2023 were re-connecting with my cousins. As the 'baby' of the family I have 5 female cousins who are all older than me and some I hadn't seen since I was about 5! 




I also spent a few weekends in May and June looking for wild orchids at various sites around Notts with a very knowledgeable horticultural friend, and hope to do more in 2024. My other project is going to be turning most of the vegetable patch at the bottom of the garden into a woodland garden. The trees have grown a lot since we moved in 24 years ago! 

I am looking forward to spending time with family and friends who need some support, like Dad, who will be 95 next month, and a close friend who is recently bereaved. 
Now life is as normal as it is going to be post-pandemic, I want to enjoy my retirement a bit more. During lockdown we got into the habit of doing an hours bird watch in the garden once a month. This fell by the wayside in the past 6 months, but we will make time for it once more. I am also looking forward to spending more time and head space keeping fit and healthy, going out walking and of course continuing with my karate. 

Anyway, that is enough from me for now. Hope your 2024 is full of things you love. 


2 comments:

Sandma's Handmade Cards said...

A wonderful, thought provoking post Sally and I couldn’t agree with you more. Having lost my beautiful niece aged forty eight last November, I feel exactly the same. I wish you much love and happiness in whatever you do. Crafty hugs, Sandra xx

Pat said...

What a difficult time you have been having Sally, losing two people you love within days of one another is hard to take in, especially Mark at only 63..really devastating. Conversely the great strides you have made with your karate which you obviously love and having made lots of friends through it too. I understand about giving up your CI DT work and four years is a long time to be on the team and you obviously feel ready for a change and new challenges. I hope you do lots more bird watching and general countryside pursuits. Being in the outdoors and looking at the nature around us is always exhilarating and fulfilling, and making a woodland garden sounds like a great idea. Thank you for continuing to post on here. I really appreciate seeing your beautiful creations and keeping in touch with you this way, and wishing you all the best for 2024. x