Thursday 10 June 2010

Tag You're it Challenge - Needle and thread

It's taken me a few days to get round to it, but this is my tag for Tag you're it this week, where the theme is needle and thread. I decided it was time to get my sewing box out and inside I found a bag of bits that my dad had passed on to me a few months ago. He had been having a sort out and come across some sewing things that had been my Mum's many moons ago. Inside were various freebies from the Woman and Home magazine - press studs, buttons, hooks and eyes and a couple of packets of needles. Judging by the packaging they must be from the seventies! The buttons are probably even older, and haven't aged very well! I added some K and co paper, stamped lace, daisy trim and some real stitching. After much deliberation I took the needles out of this packet, added a little wild honey distress ink and attached it to the front. Not my usual thing and definitely out of my comfort zone, but I think it looks okay.
I will be posting this off to Janet with three more at the end of the month for a swap the Tag you're it team are hosting. Thanks for looking.

14 comments:

Zoechaos said...

Great Tag what a treasure trove you found in your mothers things perfect for this. xx Zoe

Lynne K said...

This is fab, Sally, a great interpretation of the theme. Coincidentally, I've just made a card for my sister-in-law with a drssmaking theme, using the HA stamp I got at Sir S (about to blog it) - one of the few times I've ever put buttons on a card! Didn't see the TYI theme this week, or I might have done it as a tag!

SYLVIA-ANNE said...

Hi Sally - What a brilliant interpretation of the challenge - and isn't is great to be able to use something which is genuinely vintage! Love it!
Hugs, Sylvia xxx

Francesca said...

I love this tag , It is great
Hugs
Francesca

pinky said...

Its really gorgeous, very vintage.
Pinky

lisa said...

A great tag Sally, although all those buttons are a bit scary, you know what I'm like!!!
Hope your eyes are doing OK and you have a great weekend.
Lisax

Fliss said...

This is just gorgeous Sally. Love the colour and all the details.
I found your post really interesting as strangely enough I have a sewing box that was my Mum's full of very similar bits and pieces and a few from my Great Aunt dating back to the forties. It's so lovely to see things like that and I've scanned some of mine to use on cards etc as they add a really personal touch.
Hope your eyes are better now.
Fliss x

chris said...

Hi sally
wow love all those old things that our parents seem to hoard, love the needle packet so much.
and of course I love your tag too. its perfect.
hugs chris xx
hope those peepers are ok.

craftimamma said...

Hi Sally, Sorry it's taken me all week since I got back from my lovely crafting break to catch up with my blogging pals.

What a brilliant take on the challenge theme. Those bits and pieces of your mum's are really coming in handy. Love the fab colours you've used on here. I had to smile at the backing paper because I have a tin that's absolutely chock full of old pearly shirt buttons. Every time I throw one of my Hubby's old shirts out I cut the buttons off first. I've no idea why because I think I have enough buttons to keep someone going for another lifetime, Lol.

I do hope your eyes are much better now?

Hugs
Lesley Xx

Powerful Search Engine said...

FANTASTIC interpretation of our theme. This is just perfect and so glad you could put your odds and ends with memories to some good use. Thanks for sharing with us at TYI hugs Pascale

Unknown said...

This is brilliant Sally and fabulous for our theme - what a treasure trove your sewing box must be! Thanks for joining us at TYI this week x Janet

Phree said...

I love your tag, so much detail wiht all the buttons and stitching and the needle packet makes a perfect centrepoint.

Chris said...

Such a beautiful tag Sally... so pretty and vintage looking. Love all the bits and pieces you've added to create a wonderful piece of art.
hugs
Chris xx

Rachel said...

This is stunning Sally! How nice to have a story behind some of the stuff too :) Sorry i havn't visited latly. Looks like you've been busy making gorgeous things as per usual!
There's something on my blog for you.
Hugs, Rachel xx