Wednesday 19 July 2017

Open Garden Scheme

A couple of weeks back I remember I told you I had visited a couple of gardens that people had opened to the public as part of the National open Garden scheme. This is where they open their gardens and charge a small fee for opening which goes to a charity. Many sell plants and have refreshments on sale too.
All of the photos here were from the first garden we went to, just a short walk from our house. They have a smallish plot, but it is on several levels and is chock full of wonderful plants, particularly Clematis, Roses and Hosta.
I took rather a lot of photos of these two entwined clematis
This stunning apricot rose had a wonderful scent too - quite spicy

I rather liked this geranium - such delicate colours

This clematis head was huge!

I loved the sunny faced pansies too.
It was a very enjoyable afternoon!
On the way back, Steve and I talked about our own garden and thought about what we had seen. In both gardens there were definitely not enough bees! Our marjoram is flowering at the moment and is a mass of bees. It is good to know we are doing our bit for the bee population. If I could have my own 'collection' of plants, I think I would choose something like Lavender - beautifully scented and a haven for bees.
What would you choose?

6 comments:

Helen said...

what gorgeous flowers - those clematis are huge! It would have to be geraniums for me.

Sandma's Handmade Cards said...

Beautiful photos Sally x

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

Fantastic photos of the garden you visited Sally.

Sue xx

Wies said...

Lovely photo's of beautiful flowers. Thanks for sharing with us, so we can enjoy them too.

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

It must have been a wonderful garden with lots of flowers, BUT as you say you must include flowers for the bees, although our bees are scarce this year.
Faith
x

Barb said...

Beautiful photos Sally. I can almost smell the roses! We recently bought a lythrum which attracts lots of bees. We have a huge philadelphus in the garden which is one big buzz when in flower and has an intoxicating smell. Bees have a special meaning for us. I love the acanthus too as the bees look so sweet pushing their way inside the flowers. Barbxx