Sunday 11 November 2018

At the going down of the sun...

I made this card thinking of my Grandad. He spent most of his children's childhood away at war. He made the most of my childhood. I learned which berries were good to eat and which I shouldn't touch. I learned the local names for all the living things we encountered on our walks and quite a few simple folk remedies. The poppies are a digi stamp from Aurora Wings, coloured with alcohol based markers. The sentiment is a stamp from Inkylicious.  I am entering it into the current challenge at Allsorts.
 My grandad is top left here. He followed his dad at the age of 14 to the last year of WW1
He volunteered for WW2 at the very start of the War.
My mum was the youngest of four children he left behind.

Thanks for looking.
EDIT - delighted to have had my card chosen in the top 5 at Allsorts! 

10 comments:

Mrs A. said...

A very fitting tribute. Hugs Mrs A.

Helen said...

Beautiful card and a great memories.

brenda said...

A lovely post Sally. My paternal Granddad signed up for the cavalry aged 14 at the beginning of WW1, was taken a POW, escaped and was decorated. He went on to live well into his 80's so I remember him well and can thank him for my love of horses since I was 'knee high to a grashopper'!.

Its' a beautiful card and fitting tribute, thanks so much for joining us at Allsorts challenge this week.

B x

Ellibelle said...

Such a beautiful creation, the image is gorgeous and love the sentiment.
Wonderful photos too, thank you for sharing and joining us at Allsorts challenge this week!

cuilliesocks said...

Hello Sally, what a wonderful post. Your card is so beautiful, gorgeous poppy image.
Lovely family photos, thank you for sharing them.
I think it's such a pity, that our governments have learned nothing from all the wasted life from this conflict, and are still sending out young men and women to their deaths, it makes me so sad and angry, Kate x

crafty-stamper said...

Beautiful pictures and memories Sally -unfortunately I was only young when my Grandad died and I have no memory of him but I learnt he bred canaries and when I was younger I always had an aviary and bred birds canaries included so hopefully he passed that on-thank you for the lovely comment on my blog post today too
Carol x

crafty-stamper said...

ooops sorry meant to say I love your beautiful card too
Carol x

Kathleen said...

A really lovely card and I love that poppy image, great layout too.
Fabulous photo's too.
Thank you for joining our 'Poppies/Red challenge at Allsorts.

Kath x

Linby said...

A beautiful poppy card - might need that image LOL!

Dr Sonia S V said...

WOW what an amazing tribute to your grandfather...your card is stunning
Cheers
Dr Sonia