Thursday 22 September 2011

Made a start on Christmas

Well, I have finally managed a card that I'm happy with. It isn't brayered and it isn't CAS, and I gave up trying to think of something to fit a challenge this week and started the Christmas cards - a little early for me this year!
I used the Woodware Tipsy Tree set that I was introduced to by Chris at the Sir Stampalot  blog girl day last year, and fell in love with! Paper piecing works brilliantly with this set and I'm rather pleased with the colour combo - a new one for me on Christmas cards.  I got a bit carried away with my Faux stitching because I have just treated myself to a new very fine pen. I also used liberal amounts of Distress inks in tea dye and walnut stain.
Now, the good thing about paper piecing like this is that you get two for the price of one, so here is the other one.
More stitching on this one too, along with some old and rather temperamental stickles that needs replacing, hence the blobby blobs! I was rather pleased that I could use up some scraps of paper in such an economical way.
Life at work is very busy already, so I'm going to be a bit hit and miss leaving comments, apart from on the stampalot challenge blog for a bit. I am attending a course tomorrow on 'Middle Leadership' that I think will require me to do some extra activities over and above my regular teaching. I'm just hoping I can get my head around it all - especially after lunch on Friday afternoon!
Thanks for looking!

10 comments:

Paula Whittaker said...

good cards...like the music background behind the tree,really adds something to the card. Must be something in the air, even I started making xmas cards and thats unheard of for me to start this early!

Lisa Jane said...

oh i love the quirky little trees .. and the papers you have chosen are fab
Lisa x

Linby said...

I love the Americana folksy feel to this card. You've given me an idea to paper piece a tree I have too.
Enjoy the course!
Lynn x

PinksyDoodles said...

Super cards Sally.
I love the blobby stickles on the second one!
Hugs, Clare x

Vicky Hayes said...

I think it's the weather that's helping us all along with our Christmas cards this year - it's not too hard to think of winter! I really like your tipsy tree cards - especially the second with the hearts down the side. Hope you have fun on your course! Vx

Zoechaos said...

Fab cards Sally and a happy reminder of a great day last year. XOXO Zoe

lisa said...

Sometimes you just have to craft for yourself don't you, Sally. These Christmas cards are great, they have a lovely vintage feel.
I had to go out and buy some new stickles yesterday after having the same problem.
Hope your course goes well and you have a great weekend.
Hugs Lisax

craftimamma said...

Sorry I'm too late to wish you well for your course Sally but I'm glad it went well and you are finding it useful. Nothing worse than feeling you've wasted your time when it's such a precious commodity.

Love these two cards. The colours are lovely and as you say that image works so well for paper piecing. Love your faux stitching too. I've never managed to do that successfully no matter how many times I've tried. Somehow mine always looks very odd.

Hugs
Lesley Xx

Jules said...

Hi Sal

This is gorgeous.

My favourite Christmas tree from last year .. .. I used it loads and loads .. .. and will no doubt be doing the same again this year!!

Hope the course went well.

Loving all the faux stitching.

Love Jules xx

Anke said...

Wonderful card Sally